In “Unable to rename machine running TFS 2008”, I had written about a TF55030 error that I was getting everytime I ran the TfsAdminUtil RenameDT <newServerName>.
Raymond and Bill Wang from MS pointed me in the right direction for fixing the error. Turns out that some settings werent getting updated, which resulted in RenameDT looking for the old server name.
Here are the set of steps that I took right before running RenameDT, to get it to succeed.
On the server, after updating the Reporting Services database setup and windows identity....
1. Open folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server\Web Services\Services"
2. Open the web.config file and change the connection string's server name to the new server name. Save and keep the file open.
3. Open a command prompt and go to folder "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server\Tools" and run
TfsAdminUtil ConfigureConnections /view
Reports Uri and ReportServer Uri should show up as pointing to the old server name.... we need to update it.
4. update the reporting uris
TfsAdminUtil ConfigureConnections /ReportsUri:http://<NewServerName>/Reports /ReportServerUri:http://<newServerName>/Reports/ReportService.asmx
Should run successfully
5. Change the server name in the web.config file that you edited in (2) back to the old server name (required for TfsAdminUtil RenameDT to work!).
6. Start the Report Server and Microsoft Team Foundation Server Application Pool
7. Make sure that the default web site is running
8. Run TFSAdminUtil RenameDT <newServerName>
should run successfully.