Was trying to restore my Inspiron 1520 to its factory default settings and PCRestore.exe was not working. But what I did find on the restore partition was a WIM image. So here is how I got the restore running
What you need: ImageX.exe (should be in the tools folder of the restore partition)
- Boot up into Repair mode.
- Restart your computer and hit F8 while the computer is starting.
- Choose the Repair option or the safe-mode command prompt.
- If you chose the repair option, in the “System Recovery Options” dialog, select Command Prompt
- Navigate to the restore partition (normally drive D).
- CD into the Tools folder.
- Run the following ImageX command:
ImageX /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\
The above command applies the image to the drive c.
- If everything works correctly, you should see some messaging that the process has started. It took ImageX about 5 minutes before it started the restore process (during this time, it almost looks as though nothing is happening).
- After a while you should begin see Progress messages (Progress: x%, Y minutes remaining).
- The restore process took about 20 minutes on my laptop.
- Reboot and you should be booting up into a factory restored version of your laptop.