From a Harvard Business School article:
First step: stop demotivating employees
According to the author there are just three important factors that matter most when it comes to keeping employees motivated:
- Equity: To be respected and to be treated fairly in areas such as pay, benefits, and job security.
- Achievement: To be proud of one's job, accomplishments, and employer.
- Camaraderie: To have good, productive relationships with fellow employees.
Interestingly, the author found that if one of the above factors is missing, then they cannot be substituted with another factor (for e.g: higher pay).
And here are the main things the author says managers can do in different areas:
- Achievement related
- Instill an inspiring purpose
- Provide recognition
- Be an expediter for your employees
- Coach your employees for improvement
- Equity related
- Communicate fully
- Face up to poor performance
- Camaraderie related
- Promote teamwork
- All three areas (Achievement, Equity and Camaraderie)
- Listen and involve
Read the entire article as it elaborates on the above listed points.