Thursday, June 02, 2011

Car Insurance–What coverage should I get?

Was trying to determine what is the best coverage to get for my cars. Here is what I found:

  • Buy standard 100/300/100 coverage, which pays for bodily injury up to $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident, and property damage up to $100,000.
  • If you have a high net worth,
    • boost it to 250/500/100.
    • also take a look at a separate umbrella policy to insure against a lawsuit seeking an amount beyond the auto policy's limits.
  • Protect yourself by buying uninsured/underinsured motorist protection with the same limits as your liability coverage
  • You can probably cancel your collision and/or comprehensive coverage when the annual cost equals or exceeds 10 percent of your car's book value
  • Make sure your insurer knows about your reduced driving habits. Lower mileage normally equals lower premiums.
  • If you qualify, ask to be included in the top-tier customer group, which typically have the best premiums.

In Colorado, as of June 2011, the minimum coverage that you are expected to carry is: 25/50/15.

A good reference document is the “CONSUMER’S GUIDE TO AUTO INSURANCE” from DORA:

Consumer Reports:

No comments: