Decided to go ahead and try installing Windows 7 onto my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop and here is my experience:
– Downloaded RTM ISO Bits for Win 7 Ultimate
– Copied personal files from laptop onto an external hard driver
– Burnt ISO to a DVD
– Started Installer
–– Choose to reinstall Windows 7 on my computer instead of upgrading – figured this would be a good time to start with a clean slate.
– Installer ran for about 45 minutes, rebooted the computer a couple of times before it was ready for use.
– Found that Windows 7 didnt have drivers from the video card (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)
–– Dell didnt have any drivers for Win 7 either.
–– Found a NVidia “reference” driver, decided to bite the bullet and install it.
––– When computer started up, there was a conflict between the video driver and the mouse.
––– Restarted the computer and it fixed the problem.
– Had to run update for Win7 to get some drivers for unknown devices on the computer.
Been extremely happy with Win7 on my Inspiron up to now (tested for 24 hours).
I will continue reporting on my experience installing other drivers and applications on my new Win7 laptop.
Update 08.14 –
Installed Windows Live Write – no problems
Installed McAfee anti-virus – free from Comcast – no problems
Update 08.15 -
Installed MS Office 2007 – no problems
Installed Brother MFC-490CW networked printer – no problems (was unable to find Win7 version of the apps that came with the printer. Scanning is currently not working as I dont have the drivers).