Thursday, July 26, 2007

Projection differences between GDAL/OGR and ESRI's ArcGIS

Recently while working with some translation code ArcGIS was throwing a COM exception for some of the WKT strings I was creating using OGR. These WKTs were being created from EPSG codes and ArcGIS would simply throw a COM exception with no information about what was going on. After a little research I found that the problem was in the difference in names of projections that the 2 APIs used. So here is what I found: (from
Mercator_1SP Mercator_2SPMercator
Lambert_Conformal_Conic_1SP and Lambert_Conformal_Conic_2SPLambert_Conformal_Conic
The distinction is based on the values of the "standard_parallel_1" and "standard_parallel_2" parameters.

No comments: